Sunday, September 30, 2007

Sweet relief!

The bags are on their way! Hallelujah!! Praise Jesus (and Eva)!! Eva is a missionary in Budapest. We sent her the information for our suitcases, and she is having them taken to a Methodist pastor in a town near the border. Now, we just need to see if someone can get them into Ukraine for us. The blessing of this is that, instead of being 5-8 hours away (depending on how fast you drive), they will now be 1 hour away!!! Maybe I'll have clean clothes tomorrow - or at least cleaner than the ones I hand washed in the sink tonight....

It is officially 4 a.m. here in Uzhhorod. Susan and I both have a case of the wide awakes. Very frustrating, as we start work bright and early at 9:30. This should be the latest that we begin all week.

We went to church at Sergei's "First Methodist Church" in Uzhhorod tonight. I am truly amazed at how quickly language skills come back to you. At the beginning of the service, I caught enough words that I could understand about half of what Sergei was saying. However, he is a very passionate man, and when he gets going, Vova can't even keep up to translate for us!

We also met Joseph, the man who runs the soup kitchen in Uzhhorod. He shared with us his story, and I caught about 60 percent without the translator. It's an amazing story, and he's doing wonderful work with children and young adults who have nowhere else to turn.

Everyone here has been so gracious and forgiving of my poor Russian skills, and I have enjoyed being able to practice after 2 years. Unfortunately, my dictionary is in my suitcase.... Which is on its way (did I mention that?)!!! And, for those of you who have had the pleasure of experiencing the cuisine, we have had wonderful food so far. I walked into the cafe for dinner, and behold, BLINY!!!!

Ok, that's enough prattling on for now. Maybe I will be able to get a little bit more sleep before our big day tomorrow. Keep praying!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear all is well. Hope the suitcases appear. I appreciate being able to keep up the events of the day. Have a good one.
Susan's Mom